Finding the right dumpster for your project is often difficult to budget. Find out what you can expect in dumpster rental prices.
How Much Does it Cost?
Residential and commercial dumpster rental prices can vary. HomeAdvisor quotes the average rental price at $380 a week, ranging from $292 to $480 a week for 10 cubic yards to 40 cubic yards. As for smaller dumpsters that range from two to 10 cubic yards, the price can vary from $75 to $325 a week.
Why do Prices Vary?
Several factors can affect dumpster costs. The first one is location. Like gas and home prices, dumpster rental prices will vary by city. For example, HomeAdvisor quotes Minneapolis rental prices ranging from $280 to $480. Meanwhile, in Long Island, New York, HomeAdvisor says people should expect prices from $380 to $600.
The size of your dumpster also affects the rental price. Obviously, the bigger the dumpster, the larger the fee. The same goes for the length of the rental. The longer you have the dumpster, the higher the cost. Most dumpster rental companies have a one-week minimum; after that, it can be $5 to $10 a day.
Weight will also increase prices. Dump fees are often included in your quote and can vary by location. It’s typically $20 to $100 per ton, according to HomeAdvisor. Pay attention to that dump fee and weight limit! If you go over the weight limit, extra charges will accrue. Also, it’s illegal to transport a container of debris overflowing above the dumpster’s rim. So, you will face additional costs because the company will have to make multiple trips or retrieve a second bin.
The type of debris you throw into your bin can also change the price. Some waste items, such as TVs and mattresses, require special care or may need to go to a different facility. Some companies will also charge differently for construction, yard waste, or general debris. You’ll want to clarify what is allowed in your dumpster and if any materials will increase the cost.
Lastly, check to see whether you need a permit. Bob Vila recommends asking your dumpster company and the local municipality for the answer. You will may need one if you are blocking a public sidewalk or placing it on the street. Also, check with your homeowners’ association if you have one. Some HOAs will have rules on dumpster rentals.
What Size Dumpster to Get
When picking your dumpster size, you want to plan for all your debris, but you don’t want to overestimate and pay extra.
Here are some recommended sizes for different projects:
- 10-yard dumpster: Suitable for a small cleanout or remodeling job of an apartment or a room, small-scale roofing project, landscaping, or hauling heavy debris. According to Bob Vila, the average cost of these is $100 to $300 a week.
- 15-yard dumpster: Good for a small project with bulkier debris, a single-home remodel, or attic and basement cleanouts, a 15-yard dumpster might be for you. Rental prices range from $250 to $650 a week.
- 20-yard dumpster: Suitable for whole-home cleanups, roofing projects, and large-scale landscaping projects. Price ranges from $275 to $700 for one week.
- 30-yard dumpster: Can fit home remodeling debris, demolition debris, or trash from an estate cleanout. These cost $300 to $725 per week.
- 40-yard dumpster: Can manage large-scale commercial or major home remodels and significant construction debris. The price per week ranges from $350 to $800.
Consider a Redbox+ Elite Dumpster
If you’re doing a project with a contractor or employees on-site, consider getting a dumpster with a toilet. This choice can save you money in the end! The redbox+ Dumpsters offers an elite roll-off dumpster that comes with a toilet. By providing workers with a restroom, you’re reducing the distance employees must go to use the bathroom and the time wasted on finding one. You will also save on gas from workers using the company’s vehicles to travel to and from the public restroom!
Rent with redbox+ Dumpsters
Besides these elite dumpsters, redbox+ Dumpsters also offers suburban-sized dumpsters. The length is shorter, and the sidewalls are taller to make it more driveway-friendly without compromising capacity. Let us help you determine what you need for your next construction dumpster rental.
Contact us today to get started on your quote.